5/21/2011

Jim Lehrer and Me

I recently had the opportunity to be present for Jim Lehrer's announcement of his semi-retirement from the PBS NewsHour show he has anchored, in various forms, for almost 40 years.  Jim is a tireless newsman and his personal code of journalistic ethics is legendary among media outlet:

 

  • Do nothing I cannot defend.

  • Cover, write, and present every story with the care I would want if the story were about me.

  • Assume there is at least one other side or version to every story.

  • Assume the viewer is as smart and as caring and as good a person as I am.

  • Assume the same about all people on whom I report.

  • Assume personal lives are a private matter until a legitimate turn in the story absolutely mandates otherwise.

  • Carefully separate opinion and analysis from straight news stories, and clearly label everything.

  • Do not use anonymous sources or blind quotes except on rare and monumental occasions.

  • No one should ever be allowed to attack another anonymously.

  • And finally, I am not in the entertainment business.


 

I was honored to be his guest at the NewsHour HQ for his announcement, as was my iPad 2.

[gallery]

Speaking of my iPad 2, it was the recent guest on the NewsHour, again:

 

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82DUbpPgVo


 


 

No comments: